This week, in my continuing series on successful marriages, respondents share what they see in their partners. I had asked for the top three characteristics that have kept spouses enthralled, but, happily, many expanded on their answers.
I think the featured photo summarizes this article perfectly!
Key words and categories are grouped, with sample quotes.
Kindness, affection, and caring of me, family and others
- He remains smitten with me even after 44 years of marriage and tells me so everyday. He is a loyal friend. He is one of the kindest people I know.
- In addition to a true love, we truly LIKE each other. We are best friends and have been for seventy-four years. This becomes even more important as we grow old. We need each other and we know it. We think we are two parts of a whole, and neither is complete without the other.
- She keeps a very positive outlook on life and tries to pass that on to our children and grandchildren.
- He is a very kind, considerate and caring person, both to me and those he comes in contact with. I have always felt valued by him.
- Support, celebrating each other, affection (hugs, holding hands etc.)
- She still cuddles like the “Good old days”.
- Gives lots of hugs, pets and back rubs. Touch is very important.
- He’s funny.
- Each of us has a good sense of humour – but different! He has an uncanny ability to make me laugh when I am annoyed so I just can’t stay mad!
- He loves to make me laugh & has an amazing sense of humour, he has a wonderful vitality and love of life and shows it with an amazing smile.
- She always wears a smile. Makes me laugh.
Intelligent, adventurous and curious
- My partner is a deep thinker.
- Her intelligence and thirst for knowledge.
- My spouse is a scholar and inherent in that is a love of learning and listening to other scholars and students and sharing ideas with me.
- He’s smart and often I need to talk things out with him. He’s the first one I think of when I have a problem that needs solving.
- His willingness and ability to help solve problems in so many situations.
- [Her] intrigue for new experiences, spontaneity and her positivity.
- Intelligence because life becomes dull without someone of your own caliber, whatever that may be.
- Good nature/fun/tenacity
Authentic, supportive, trustworthy
- He makes me feel safe and whole.
- The support she has given me on all of my endeavours over our years of marriage and continues to this day.
- Grace to able to be supportive in not only the common, but the unusual or new situations.
- In all our world-wide travels, we have supported each other in good and not so good times.
- [His] groundedness, trustworthiness and humour are things that have kept me enthralled through the years.
- Authenticity/ intelligence/good chemistry
- [My] spouse is good caregiver when I am stressed out.
I think this was the most romantic part of the responses. All these positive sentiments keep me buoyed up and smiling. Happy Winter Solstice, and I wish you and your loved ones a wonderful holiday season!
Thanks to Dakota Corbin for the featured photo from Unsplash.
The final installment on December 28, will provide responses to: What advice would you give new couples for achieving a long and fulfilling union?